Back to normal

sunflower 6.13.19.jpg

This is an apt title for two reasons. First, with a break in May’s relentless pace of rain, we have settled back into a (more) normal farm routine. This is certainly something for which we are thankful (well, Katie is - Chris spends late into evening in the field and I don’t know exactly if he would use the word ‘thankful’ to describe how he feels about working after dark.) Second, I, personally, am back to normal after a unpleasant run-in with a migraine this week. (This is why this update, normally posted on Wednesday, is tardy this week.)

At some point this week, when I wasn’t comatose from the migraine, I realized that I must be a little superstitious, because every time I want to tell someone ‘the field is looking good’, I find myself turning around to find the nearest piece of wood to knock on. That said (with a pause as I knock on wood), I do think the field looks good right now compared to previous years. Last fall, we decided to solarize some beds where weeds were particularly problematic. (Solarizing is when you lay plastic across the bed and let the heat that accumulates over time essentially bake the soil to kill weed seeds and pathogens.) As we have uncovered some of these beds and gotten them in use this year, I am pleased with the results so far. We will keep solarizing the other beds as long as possible, which means until we need them for production.

One other fun step forward this week was that we now have ranunculus growing in our house. Quite a few of them, in fact. Ranunculus is a beautiful complicated bloom, reminiscent of a rose in its form, but more symmetrical, papery, and less overdone (that last descriptor is my opinion, of course). We decided to do a trial of them this year to see how they grow, hold up, and arrange. They are popular in design work, so I’m curious to see how well they grow. In the corm (tuber) stage, they look remarkably like little octopuses. I did not enjoy that fact as I helped to get them pre-sprouted, for your information.

We also have been joined on the farm this week by dozens upon dozens (perhaps into hundreds) of fall gourds, pumpkins, and what not. These are obviously still in the 1-2 true leaf stage, but boy howdy do they grow. Because I am the one who starts the small, finicky seeds indoors in the middle of winter, I am always a little scandalized by just how quickly these giant seeds emerge in the field. They are little monsters, and they grow like it, too.

Finally, the last remarkable thing that happened this week is that I watered the field. Save the best for last, right? While that sounds extremely mundane, it is notable in that I was desperate for the water to STOP last month, to the extent that I don’t believe I intentionally watered a single day in May. (This was only the second time I watered the field this year; I’m fuzzy on the exact date of the first watering, but I believe it was the end of April.) We’ve have 2 inches of rain this month so far, which is workable. I even let my seedlings that haven’t been transplanted yet enjoy the rain a couple of times this week. (My father-in-law tells me that rain water is better because it has nitrogen in it.)

We would be happy with another normal week for the one ahead, personally.

Here’s what I can’t get over this week:

Gorgeous larkspur joined the party this week.

Gorgeous larkspur joined the party this week.

Have a good one!

Bloomfully yours,

Katie (and Chris) Francis